Succession on HBO Max is an American television drama series that premiered on HBO in 2018. The show follows the dysfunctional Roy family, who owns and operates a global media and entertainment conglomerate called Waystar Royco. The patriarch of the family, Logan Roy, is the CEO of the company and is in poor health, which leads to a power struggle among his four adult children as they jockey for position to take over the company.
The oldest son, Kendall, is a recovering drug addict who has long been groomed to succeed his father, but his personal demons and lack of confidence make him a questionable choice. The second son, Roman, is a brash and cynical playboy who lacks the discipline and focus to run the company. The third child, Shiv, is a political consultant who has distanced herself from the family business but is drawn back in when she sees an opportunity to seize power. The youngest son, Connor, is a delusional and eccentric aspiring politician who is largely dismissed by his siblings.
As the series progresses, the Roy family engages in a series of power plays and betrayals, both within the family and with their business rivals. They deal with various crises, including a potential takeover by a rival media conglomerate, a major scandal involving one of their top executives, and Logan’s deteriorating health.
The show is known for its dark humor, sharp writing, and excellent performances, particularly by Brian Cox as Logan Roy and Jeremy Strong as Kendall. It has received critical acclaim and numerous awards, including several Emmys and Golden Globes.
- Brian Cox as Logan Roy, the patriarch and CEO of Waystar Royco
- Jeremy Strong as Kendall Roy, Logan’s eldest son and the company’s heir-apparent
- Sarah Snook as Shiv Roy, Logan’s daughter and a political consultant
- Kieran Culkin as Roman Roy, Logan’s youngest son and a troublemaker within the family
- Matthew Macfadyen as Tom Wambsgans, Shiv’s husband and a high-ranking executive at Waystar Royco
- Alan Ruck as Connor Roy, Logan’s eldest son from his first marriage and an aspiring politician
- Nicholas Braun as Greg Hirsch, a bumbling and naive cousin of the Roy family who works at Waystar Royco
- J. Smith-Cameron as Gerri Kellman, Waystar Royco’s general counsel and a close confidant of Logan’s.
Why Succession is Good
Widely regarded as good television for strong writing, stellar performances, timely themes, cinematic visuals, and addictive storytelling. It’s well-crafted and Brian Cox is a man you don’t want to fuck with.— The Telly Report